21 February, 2011

Stagnate in Life or Emancipate

Recently a cousin of mine, who met me after ages, asked me, "So what are you doing these days?" I casually replied, "same old stuff-fitness". And he said, "hmm!! no you keep changing no..thats why I asked." I said, "Since 1996, I am in same field of fitness. How many jobs have you changed since then". And I know, he has changed quite a number.

Now this may sound like a simple conversation. But on retrospect, I know, there was mockery, smirk, pasquinade hidden in his remark. Specially so, because whenever I have met him and his brother (which happens like once in say 2-3 years), they have asked me the same question in same manner.
As a kid, (who was unsure of herself), such remark would make me jittery. I would try and find fault in me.

But as a mature woman, who is now damn confident of herself, her work, her life, living on her own terms, this remark does not make me indulge in self assassination but makes me think, how foolish or a looser can the other person be.

I have been in the field of fitness since 1996. Yes, I have never let my work or my life be monotonous. I am proud to be multi facetted. I am not one bit ashamed of it. And no such remark would make me stagnate like a stale water. I work towards my growth. I have other passions in life which are not just fitness. I am a NIFT graduate. I love fashion. I am also a trained pilot. I have learnt Japanese. I love dancing (various forms- Kathak, Odissi, salsa, jive, merengue, cha cha, bachata, Zouk, tango, swing, Lindy Hop, waltz, rock and roll), I am an ardent follower of Art of Living. I write fitness articles for various magazines and newspapers, I do TV shows on various channels for fitness, I sell fitness equipment, I write this blog, I party hard core. I am a mother, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend.

As far as the fitness qualifications go, I am not just limited to one form. I am trained and qualified to teach aerobics, step aerobics, kickboxing, Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, Ramping up, Bosu, Swiss Ball, Medicine ball, gym stick, Bhangra aerobics, Dancercise, boot camp, weight training, gym training, aqua aerobics, calisthenics, power walk, Shiatsu. I have done certifications from US, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, India. I even run fitness certification programs for aspiring fitness trainers. I do corporate fitness training. I do overall personality grooming.

Every year, I set a target for myself and try to learn something new. This year, I will do professional photography course. I am waiting for it to start. I will go to Argentina to polish my Tango.

And if some looser comes and makes me feel apologetic about it, no way. It is not happening buddy.
I am full of energy and am constantly on the move. In search of new dimensions. Wanting to enhance myself, learn new things. I have a craving to improve and improvise. So next time, do not say,"you keep changing" in that derogatory term, as if you want to make me feel or look unstable.

It is strange, that some people do not grow themselves, and are also critical of others growth. They do not know the meaning of emerge and evolve.

Time and again, I have stated my philosophy and way of life- I never ever care/bother what other people do, the way they lead their life, what they eat/wear/think/behave etc etc. It is not my business and I do not have time and energy to judge anyone. But if someone/anyone, tries to judge/rule/ remark my life, I am utmost protective about it. I come out on war footing.

What is your take on this?

9 comments:

  1. Oh my , what a trigger for this out pour..but then we learnt a lot about you & your way of celebrating this God given life..Bikkuri shimashita yo..o genki de

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl :) You are an incredibly accomplished and talented lady and no can should make you feel any less than you are!

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This guy, your cousin probably feels inadequate next to such a talented multi faceted personality. I'm glad you wrote such a fierce blog post. Keep those guns blazing Kiran.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you should come out on war footing! You are an AMAZON!
    ...but... this guy sounds like a right jealous dweeb who can't stay committed to anything other than his smugness at his lack of accomplishment masquerading as 'change'.

    Change is not the same as growth. Sometimes change -as in this idiot's case- is about deflection.
    Like when people don;'t want to do anything productive or constructive, they shuffle papers around and clean their desks when really they should be writing a report, etc.

    You are awe inspiring Kiran. Of that there is no doubt. I am in awe of you.

    Somehow or the other we need to meet. I want to be flown by you somewhere where we can order drinks in Japanese and party hard! :)

    You are an amazing AMAZING woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kiran,

    Is it possible he is just jealous?

    Also can you do me a favor please...

    Please rewrite your post and make bullet points of all your skill sets (4th paragraph) and make it BOLD and make another bullet point set that is specific to fitness (5th paragraph)

    After you have done it, send him the link....

    I take it back..do not send him the link and IGNORE HIM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know I just can't get enough of you...I mean I just can't get enough of you!

    You are all that I and so many other people dream of becoming!
    I mean I am not even going to begin praising you...you are something else and you know it. I am toh just so glad that you are!!
    This article is so going to sakshi now....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiran,

    I read your blog post to my wife and daughter. My daughter says "Is she a legend?" and wife says , "she is proud of you"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though late I found time to read your post, What a post it has turned out to be. Very strong one, loved each and every word. When people start having a complex they try to hurt others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kiran,

    I'm back, after a subdued 2 years of blogging. And what a way to land here! This post resonates my blog theme so perfectly (re-read the theme at my home page ; ), I'm going to track it back on my site. So punching hard & confident you sound. Great!

    ReplyDelete